Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Clouds seem simple so why the slow buy in?

I have been in the government information technology space for many years. When I first became aware of cloud computing, it seemed to be another hosting solution with the wrinkle of resource management. I could host my computing power in a safe place and only pay for what I use. It reminded me of the old time sharing scenarios of the 50s and 60s. Pay only for what was used. Simple.

Boy, has this idea gotten hot, "cloud computing" on Google today ... 198 million hits. The federal government is going cloud in a big way, CIO Council and FedRamp.

In 2010 I decided to jump on the bandwagon and started a cloud company. This blog is the result of what I learned about cloud from this experience. It isn't about the entrepreneurial challenges of building the company which was acquired. Much is already written about that topic. My focus is to figure out how all of us can take advantage of the cloud and to explore why we aren't moving quickly toward this exciting technology.

I'm no expert on this subject. I do have a little experience and hope that other folks will join in to kick this topic around. 

Computing Power - a definition. One of the first things that I struggled with was how to explain to everyday folks what the cloud concept was about. After wrestling with my partners and others in the field we came up with the concept of "computing power". Computing power is the pile of computers, networks, software, policies, procedures, wiring, power supplies, air conditioning and anything else that is used to process information. Your computing power may be as simple as a single PC or as complex as several acres of a hardened government facility. Both represent computing power only the size and complexity are different.

Cloud Computing - a definition. An alternative method of providing your same "computing power" from a safe, accessible and remote location.

Cloud Porting - a definition. The process of deciding to move and then moving your computing power to the cloud.

From my viewpoint cloud porting is the barrier that is slowing the adoption of the cloud today.

My next topic: The Cost Dilemma

Some other folks are addressing this subject:

Porting Apps to Amazon - Read Write Web                   Porting - Benchmark Consulting 

No comments:

Post a Comment